How To Promote Yourself as a Freelancer
Freelancers represent about 35% of the global workforce. In India, the freelance industry is estimated to grow to $20 to $30 billion by 2025. If we go by the recent trends the future of freelancing looks very promising. India has about 15 million freelancers who have significantly boosted the start-up culture.
So, what drives an individual towards freelancing?
Well, there are many reasons to follow. Independence, freedom of choosing the work they want to do, lucrative financial offers are some of those. Moreover, most freelancers are remote workers so technology also plays a big part in the scenario.
All these are very promising statements but the reality is a bit different. Most freelancers struggle to make a decent living. Fierce competition, struggling with time management and not being able to find new clients are some of the challenges freelancer faces.
Keep reading to find out what are the common challenges faced by freelancers and tips to promote yourself as a freelancer. So, let’s get started.
“I am unable to find new clients”. This is the most common statement every freelancer talks about when asked. This problem leads to various other challenges which are faced by freelancers. Some of them are:
- Imposter Syndrome: This is a common mental health struggle faced by freelancers. Imposter syndrome deals with the thoughts freelancers get when they think they don’t have good enough skills. You feel like you don’t have the skills to do the projects and there are better freelancers than you.
- Non-Existent Marketing Skills: Every great freelancer is not a good marketer. You struggle with showcasing your skills and are unable to land new clients.
- Time Management: Freelancers are not able to manage time between the projects. You struggle to complete the existing projects due to procrastination and you think you don’t have the time to look for new clients.
Here are some tips on how to promote yourself as a freelancer
- Launch A Blog Or Website: 77% of people regularly read blogs online. Launching a website or blog is one of the most affordable ways to promote yourself. All you need is domain and hosting and you are good to go. You can also choose a content management system like WordPress or Medium to run your blog or website. Make sure you have a strong portfolio to showcase to bring in traffic.
- Use Social Media: If you don’t understand how to market social media is a blessing for you. 85% of freelancers use social media to find work. Social media is a great platform to showcase your skills to gain potential clients. You can create a profile of your work on platforms like Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Tumblr or Reddit. LinkedIn and Facebook groups work wonders for freelancers who are not able to land clients.
You can connect with the relevant group and offer your service for customer testimonials. You can post content, videos, images or stories to connect with your audience and show them your work. Make sure you are an active participant on all the platforms.
- Build A Network: One of the effective ways to find prospects is to build a network. So how do you network? You can start attending online events of your relevant niche hosted by relevant individuals of your niche. You can also network online through LinkedIn as it is one of the largest professional networks.
You can be part of LinkedIn groups and connect with the audience of your expertise. You can also be part of online events hosted on LinkedIn where you can connect to build relationships with prospects. Make sure you have a killer profile on LinkedIn as these prospects would check out your profile.
- Referrals: Referral is a useful tool to market yourself as a freelancer. You can ask for referrals from your existing or former clients. Posting these referrals can help build trust for your services. Whenever you offer any service to a client and if they are satisfied with your service, make sure to ask for referrals. 65% of new business comes from referrals.
- Build relationships: Growing your client base is very vital for a freelancer. So, it is important to build a relationship with your clients. You should build relationships not only with your loyal clients but also with your former clients.
You can reach out occasionally to inform about a new service you are offering. They might not be interested but they can refer you to other clients. Moreover, they might contact you later if you nurture your relationship with them.
- Guest blogging: Guest blogging is one of the ideal strategies to market yourself as a freelancer. You start commenting and posting on the relevant established blogs which match your client demographics. Through this strategy, you are able to connect with your relevant target market informing them about your offerings.
Marketing is a very important tool to promote yourself as a freelancer. Also, remember the mindset is very important to achieve success. You have to be consistent in your efforts and always believe in your skills. You can use these mentioned tactics to formulate a strategy and start landing clients.
Hope these tactics help you to market yourself as a freelancer.
Share your thoughts in comments...
Learn how to land clients and get results for them in 7 days!Sign up Now!